Sunday, August 15, 2010

Garbage to Gear: backpacker's cooler

Who loves bacon? I LOVE BACON!! If someone where to roll everything that's right in the world into a ball and magically turn it into food, it would be bacon. Not just any bacon... bacon-wrapped bacon, marinated in essence of bacon awesomesauce, sauteed in bacon grease, and served with a side of bacon.

Now that I've established that, I'm sure it's no surprise that I'm a big fan of taking bacon camping. I'm also a much bigger fan of "all natural" (not cured in phosphates and other bullshit) bacon. The dilemma: this stuff spoils faster than the cheep stuff and you have to keep it cool. 

As I was packing for my latest trip, I was brainstorming ways to keep something cool when backpacking through 90 degree heat (GA summers can be brutal). Inspiration finally struck when I pulled down a sleeping pad and noticed it had seen better days and it was time to retire it. Hmmm... sleeping pads are great insulators, and instead of just tossing it, I decided to give it new life.


I measured out the right size - big enough to accommodate a half pound of bacon plus a small cold pack, cut out 2 rectangles, attached 3 sides with a little duct tape, and WALLAH! I now had an envelope to keep my wonderful bacon cool for the hike in.


No comments:

Post a Comment